Discover Primary Science and Maths Award
Rathduff National School has been taking part in the Discover Primary Science and Maths programme for the past four years. Each year every class in the school takes part activities which aim to promote an interest in the areas of maths and science. All the completed work is then documented in a science logbook for all to see and learn from.
During the past school year the children took part in the following activities;
- Science experiments from all strands on the Science curriculum.
- ‘Maths Works’ workshop provided by the Lifetime Lab during Science Week 2014.
- ‘Lego Robotics’ workshop provided bythe Lego Work It
- A trip to Blackrock Castle Observatory and a visit to the school by an Engineer during Engineers Week 2015.
- Scratch programming.
- Using ICT to document and record results from experiments.
- Maths trails around the school.
- Hosting a Science Day.
The pupils thoroughly enjoyed all of these science and maths based activities and in June 2015 the school was awarded its forth Discover Primary Science and Maths award for excellence in STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Maths). This was a great achievement and the award was officially presented during a day of celebration in the school by special guests Valerie Mulcahy and Bríd Stack of the Cork Senior Ladies Football team.